- SAY – to say something using words (spoken or written)
She said “hello” to me.
Elena said something funny and left.
Expressions with say:
- say your piece –say what you want to say
- say no more – used to show that you understand what someone means
- say the word – used to tell someone they only have to ask you and you’ll do what they want
- say what you like – used when giving an opinion that you know for sure is correct, even if the person you are talking to might disagree with you
- TELL – is used when giving information to someone else (by speaking to them or by writing to them)
She told me a lot about herself.
Can you tell me how to get to the bank?
Expressions with tell:
1. tell a joke / tell a secret / tell a lie
2. tell the truth
3. tell the time
4. tell somebody the way
5. tell one’s fortune
6. tell the difference